Twenty two or twenty-two?
In this article we show you how to write 22 in English words correctly.
In addition, we provide you with the grammar rule right away. 🙂
Regardless of where they appear in a number, hyphenate all compound numbers between 21 and 99 (not 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, and 90) such as 22. In other words:
Hyphenate all numbers between twenty-one and ninety-nine, except those divisible by ten, even if the compound number is preceded or succeeded by numbers that do not require hyphens.Thus, the correct spelling of 22 is twenty-two (hyphenated).
Along the same lines:
- 22,000 = twenty-two thousand (hyphenated).
- 22,000,000 = twenty-two million (hyphenated).
- 22,000,000,000 = twenty-two billion (hyphenated).
Twenty-two or Twenty two Spelling
It doesn’t matter which noun follows the adjective, the grammar rule explained above remains in place.
In the examples below the correct spelling is underlined.
Twenty two years or twenty-two years?
Twenty two percent or twenty-two percent?
Twenty two hours or twenty-two hours?
Frequently Asked Question about Twenty Two
- Does twenty two have a hyphen? Yes, 22 has a hyphen and is spelled correctly as twenty-two.
- Do you hyphenate twenty two? Yes, you put a hyphen between twenty and two: twenty-two.
- Does twenty two need a hyphen? As 22 is a compound number in between 21 and 99 it needs a hyphen; therefore writing 22 in full is twenty-two.
In the table below we show you the correct spelling of some numbers succeeding and precededing 22:
Twenty second or Twenty-second?
In the following examples the correct spelling is underlined.
Twenty second of August or twenty-second of August?
Twenty second day or twenty-second day?
Twenty second hour or twenty-second hour?
Frequently Asked Question about Twenty second
- Does twenty second have a hyphen? Yes, the ordinal number for 22 has a hyphen and is spelled correctly as twenty-second.
- Do you hyphenate twenty second? Yes, you put a hyphen between twenty and second: twenty-second.
- Does twenty second need a hyphen? 22 is a compound number in between 21 and 99 which needs a hyphen. Thus, writing 22nd in full is twenty-second.
Twenty second or Twenty-two?
As you already know, 22 as cardinal numeral is twenty-two, and 22 as ordinal numeral is twenty-second.
Thus, the question in the subtitle above mixes two distinguished linguistic concepts and cannot be answered as such.
Observe that you can always check how to spell a number in full correctly using our converter below.
Letter case:Sentence case
As explained by the hyphens-in-numbers rule, 22 = twenty-two.
If you are happy with our information, then you may also be interested in our article twenty-four or twenty four.
We love to hear your feedback and answer any question about how to correctly write 22 you might have.
Use the designated form below or get in touch by email.
Kindly share this content on the social media, and don’t forget to download our app.
Thanks for visiting howdoyouspell.org.