Table of Contents
Twenty six or twenty-six?
In this article we show you how to write 26 in English words correctly.
In addition, we provide you with the grammar rule right away. 🙂
Regardless of where they appear in a number, hyphenate all compound numbers between 21 and 99 (not 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, and 90) such as 26. In other words:
Hyphenate all numbers between twenty-one and ninety-nine, except those divisible by ten, even if the compound number is preceded or succeeded by numbers that do not require hyphens.Thus, the correct spelling of 26 is twenty-six (hyphenated).
Along the same lines:
- 26,000 = twenty-six thousand (hyphenated).
- 26,000,000 = twenty-six million (hyphenated).
- 26,000,000,000 = twenty-six billion (hyphenated).
Twenty-six or Twenty six Spelling
It doesn’t matter which noun follows the adjective, the grammar rule explained above remains in place.
In the examples below the correct spelling is underlined.
Twenty six years or twenty-six years?
Twenty six percent or twenty-six percent?
Twenty six hours or twenty-six hours?
Frequently Asked Question about Twenty Six
- Does twenty six have a hyphen? Yes, 26 has a hyphen and is spelled correctly as twenty-six.
- Do you hyphenate twenty six? Yes, you put a hyphen between twenty and six: twenty-six.
- Does twenty six need a hyphen? As 26 is a compound number in between 21 and 99 it needs a hyphen; therefore writing 26 in full is twenty-six.
In the table below we show you the correct spelling of some numbers succeeding and precededing 26:
Twenty sixth or Twenty-sixth?
In the following examples the correct spelling is underlined.
Twenty sixth of August or twenty-sixth of August?
Twenty sixth day or twenty-sixth day?
Twenty sixth hour or twenty-sixth hour?
Frequently Asked Question about Twenty sixth
- Does twenty sixth have a hyphen? Yes, the ordinal number for 26 has a hyphen and is spelled correctly as twenty-sixth.
- Do you hyphenate twenty sixth? Yes, you put a hyphen between twenty and sixth: twenty-sixth.
- Does twenty sixth need a hyphen? 26 is a compound number in between 21 and 99 which needs a hyphen. Thus, writing 26th in full is twenty-sixth.
Twenty sixth or Twenty-six?
As you already know, 26 as cardinal numeral is twenty-six, and 26 as ordinal numeral is twenty-sixth.
Thus, the question in the subtitle above mixes two distinguished linguistic concepts and cannot be answered as such.
Observe that you can always check how to spell a number in full correctly using our converter below.
Letter case:Sentence case
As explained by the hyphens-in-numbers rule, 26 = twenty-six.
If you are happy with our information, then you may also be interested in our article twenty-eight or twenty eight.
We love to hear your feedback and answer any question about how to correctly write 26 you might have.
Use the designated form below or get in touch by email.Kindly share this content on the social media, and don’t forget to download our app.
Thanks for visiting howdoyouspell.org.