Twenty seven or twenty-seven?
In this article we show you how to write 27 in English words correctly.
In addition, we provide you with the grammar rule right away.
Regardless of where they appear in a number, hyphenate all compound numbers between 21 and 99 (not 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, and 90) such as 27. In other words:
Hyphenate all numbers between twenty-one and ninety-nine, except those divisible by ten, even if the compound number is preceded or succeeded by numbers that do not require hyphens.
Along the same lines:
- 27,000 = twenty-seven thousand (hyphenated).
- 27,000,000 = twenty-seven million (hyphenated).
- 27,000,000,000 = twenty-seven billion (hyphenated).
Twenty-seven or Twenty seven Spelling
It doesn’t matter which noun follows the adjective, the grammar rule explained above remains in place.
In the examples below the correct spelling is underlined.
Twenty seven years or twenty-seven years?
Twenty seven percent or twenty-seven percent?
Twenty seven hours or twenty-seven hours?
Frequently Asked Question about Twenty Seven
- Does twenty seven have a hyphen? Yes, 27 has a hyphen and is spelled correctly as twenty-seven.
- Do you hyphenate twenty seven? Yes, you put a hyphen between twenty and seven: twenty-seven.
- Does twenty seven need a hyphen? As 27 is a compound number in between 21 and 99 it needs a hyphen; therefore writing 27 in full is twenty-seven.
In the table below we show you the correct spelling of some numbers succeeding and precededing 27:
Twenty seventh or Twenty-seventh?
In the following examples the correct spelling is underlined.
Twenty seventh of August or twenty-seventh of August?
Twenty seventh day or twenty-seventh day?
Twenty seventh hour or twenty-seventh hour?
Frequently Asked Question about Twenty seventh
- Does twenty seventh have a hyphen? Yes, the ordinal number for 27 has a hyphen and is spelled correctly as twenty-seventh.
- Do you hyphenate twenty seventh? Yes, you put a hyphen between twenty and seventh: twenty-seventh.
- Does twenty seventh need a hyphen? 27 is a compound number in between 21 and 99 which needs a hyphen. Thus, writing 27th in full is twenty-seventh.
Twenty seventh or Twenty-seven?
As you already know, 27 as cardinal numeral is twenty-seven, and 27 as ordinal numeral is twenty-seventh.
Thus, the question in the subtitle above mixes two distinguished linguistic concepts and cannot be answered as such.
Observe that you can always check how to spell a number in full correctly using our converter below.
Letter case:Sentence case
As explained by the hyphens-in-numbers rule, 27 = twenty-seven.
If you are happy with our information, then you may also be interested in our article twenty-nine or twenty nine.
We love to hear your feedback and answer any question about how to correctly write 27 you might have.
Use the designated form below or get in touch by email.
Kindly share this content on the social media, and don’t forget to download our app.
Thanks for visiting howdoyouspell.org.