Table of Contents
Twenty nine or twenty-nine?
In this article we show you how to write 29 in English words correctly.
In addition, we provide you with the grammar rule right away. 🙂
Regardless of where they appear in a number, hyphenate all compound numbers between 21 and 99 (not 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, and 90) such as 29. In other words:
Hyphenate all numbers between twenty-one and ninety-nine, except those divisible by ten, even if the compound number is preceded or succeeded by numbers that do not require hyphens.Thus, the correct spelling of 29 is twenty-nine (hyphenated).
Along the same lines:
- 29,000 = twenty-nine thousand (hyphenated).
- 29,000,000 = twenty-nine million (hyphenated).
- 29,000,000,000 = twenty-nine billion (hyphenated).
Twenty-nine or Twenty nine Spelling
It doesn’t matter which noun follows the adjective, the grammar rule explained above remains in place.
In the examples below the correct spelling is underlined.
Twenty nine years or twenty-nine years?
Twenty nine percent or twenty-nine percent?
Twenty nine hours or twenty-nine hours?
Frequently Asked Question about Twenty Nine
- Does twenty nine have a hyphen? Yes, 29 has a hyphen and is spelled correctly as twenty-nine.
- Do you hyphenate twenty nine? Yes, you put a hyphen between twenty and nine: twenty-nine.
- Does twenty nine need a hyphen? As 29 is a compound number in between 21 and 99 it needs a hyphen; therefore writing 29 in full is twenty-nine.
In the table below we show you the correct spelling of some numbers succeeding and precededing 29:
Twenty ninth or Twenty-ninth?
In the following examples the correct spelling is underlined.
Twenty ninth of August or twenty-ninth of August?
Twenty ninth day or twenty-ninth day?
Twenty ninth hour or twenty-ninth hour?
Frequently Asked Question about Twenty ninth
- Does twenty ninth have a hyphen? Yes, the ordinal number for 29 has a hyphen and is spelled correctly as twenty-ninth.
- Do you hyphenate twenty ninth? Yes, you put a hyphen between twenty and ninth: twenty-ninth.
- Does twenty ninth need a hyphen? 29 is a compound number in between 21 and 99 which needs a hyphen. Thus, writing 29th in full is twenty-ninth.
Twenty ninth or Twenty-nine?
As you already know, 29 as cardinal numeral is twenty-nine, and 29 as ordinal numeral is twenty-ninth.
Thus, the question in the subtitle above mixes two distinguished linguistic concepts and cannot be answered as such.
Observe that you can always check how to spell a number in full correctly using our converter below.
Letter case:Sentence case
As explained by the hyphens-in-numbers rule, 29 = twenty-nine.
If you are happy with our information, then you may also be interested in our article thirty-one or thirty one.
We love to hear your feedback and answer any question about how to correctly write 29 you might have.
Use the designated form below or get in touch by email.Kindly share this content on the social media, and don’t forget to download our app.
Thanks for visiting howdoyouspell.org.