Twenty four or twenty-four?
In this article we show you how to write 24 in English words correctly.
In addition, we provide you with the grammar rule right away.
Regardless of where they appear in a number, hyphenate all compound numbers between 21 and 99 (not 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, and 90) such as 24. In other words:
Hyphenate all numbers between twenty-one and ninety-nine, except those divisible by ten, even if the compound number is preceded or succeeded by numbers that do not require hyphens.
Along the same lines:
- 24,000 = twenty-four thousand (hyphenated).
- 24,000,000 = twenty-four million (hyphenated).
- 24,000,000,000 = twenty-four billion (hyphenated).
Twenty-four or Twenty four Spelling
It doesn’t matter which noun follows the adjective, the grammar rule explained above remains in place.
In the examples below the correct spelling is underlined.
Twenty four years or twenty-four years?
Twenty four percent or twenty-four percent?
Twenty four hours or twenty-four hours?
Frequently Asked Question about Twenty Four
- Does twenty four have a hyphen? Yes, 24 has a hyphen and is spelled correctly as twenty-four.
- Do you hyphenate twenty four? Yes, you put a hyphen between twenty and four: twenty-four.
- Does twenty four need a hyphen? As 24 is a compound number in between 21 and 99 it needs a hyphen; therefore writing 24 in full is twenty-four.
In the table below we show you the correct spelling of some numbers succeeding and precededing 24:
Twenty fourth or Twenty-fourth?
In the following examples the correct spelling is underlined.
Twenty fourth of August or twenty-fourth of August?
Twenty fourth day or twenty-fourth day?
Twenty fourth hour or twenty-fourth hour?
Frequently Asked Question about Twenty fourth
- Does twenty fourth have a hyphen? Yes, the ordinal number for 24 has a hyphen and is spelled correctly as twenty-fourth.
- Do you hyphenate twenty fourth? Yes, you put a hyphen between twenty and fourth: twenty-fourth.
- Does twenty fourth need a hyphen? 24 is a compound number in between 21 and 99 which needs a hyphen. Thus, writing 24th in full is twenty-fourth.
Twenty fourth or Twenty-four?
As you already know, 24 as cardinal numeral is twenty-four, and 24 as ordinal numeral is twenty-fourth.
Thus, the question in the subtitle above mixes two distinguished linguistic concepts and cannot be answered as such.
Observe that you can always check how to spell a number in full correctly using our converter below.
Letter case:Sentence case
As explained by the hyphens-in-numbers rule, 24 = twenty-four.
If you are happy with our information, then you may also be interested in our article twenty-six or twenty six.
We love to hear your feedback and answer any question about how to correctly write 24 you might have.
Use the designated form below or get in touch by email.
Kindly share this content on the social media, and don’t forget to download our app.
Thanks for visiting howdoyouspell.org.