Twenty five or twenty-five?
In this article we show you how to write 25 in English words correctly.
In addition, we provide you with the grammar rule right away.
Regardless of where they appear in a number, hyphenate all compound numbers between 21 and 99 (not 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, and 90) such as 25. In other words:
Hyphenate all numbers between twenty-one and ninety-nine, except those divisible by ten, even if the compound number is preceded or succeeded by numbers that do not require hyphens.
Along the same lines:
- 25,000 = twenty-five thousand (hyphenated).
- 25,000,000 = twenty-five million (hyphenated).
- 25,000,000,000 = twenty-five billion (hyphenated).
Twenty-five or Twenty five Spelling
It doesn’t matter which noun follows the adjective, the grammar rule explained above remains in place.
In the examples below the correct spelling is underlined.
Twenty five years or twenty-five years?
Twenty five percent or twenty-five percent?
Twenty five hours or twenty-five hours?
Frequently Asked Question about Twenty Five
- Does twenty five have a hyphen? Yes, 25 has a hyphen and is spelled correctly as twenty-five.
- Do you hyphenate twenty five? Yes, you put a hyphen between twenty and five: twenty-five.
- Does twenty five need a hyphen? As 25 is a compound number in between 21 and 99 it needs a hyphen; therefore writing 25 in full is twenty-five.
In the table below we show you the correct spelling of some numbers succeeding and precededing 25:
Twenty fifth or Twenty-fifth?
In the following examples the correct spelling is underlined.
Twenty fifth of August or twenty-fifth of August?
Twenty fifth day or twenty-fifth day?
Twenty fifth hour or twenty-fifth hour?
Frequently Asked Question about Twenty fifth
- Does twenty fifth have a hyphen? Yes, the ordinal number for 25 has a hyphen and is spelled correctly as twenty-fifth.
- Do you hyphenate twenty fifth? Yes, you put a hyphen between twenty and fifth: twenty-fifth.
- Does twenty fifth need a hyphen? 25 is a compound number in between 21 and 99 which needs a hyphen. Thus, writing 25th in full is twenty-fifth.
Twenty fifth or Twenty-five?
As you already know, 25 as cardinal numeral is twenty-five, and 25 as ordinal numeral is twenty-fifth.
Thus, the question in the subtitle above mixes two distinguished linguistic concepts and cannot be answered as such.
Observe that you can always check how to spell a number in full correctly using our converter below.
Letter case:Sentence case
As explained by the hyphens-in-numbers rule, 25 = twenty-five.
If you are happy with our information, then you may also be interested in our article twenty-seven or twenty seven.
We love to hear your feedback and answer any question about how to correctly write 25 you might have.
Use the designated form below or get in touch by email.
Kindly share this content on the social media, and don’t forget to download our app.
Thanks for visiting howdoyouspell.org.