Twenty eight or twenty-eight?
In this article we show you how to write 28 in English words correctly.
In addition, we provide you with the grammar rule right away.
Regardless of where they appear in a number, hyphenate all compound numbers between 21 and 99 (not 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, and 90) such as 28. In other words:
Hyphenate all numbers between twenty-one and ninety-nine, except those divisible by ten, even if the compound number is preceded or succeeded by numbers that do not require hyphens.
Along the same lines:
- 28,000 = twenty-eight thousand (hyphenated).
- 28,000,000 = twenty-eight million (hyphenated).
- 28,000,000,000 = twenty-eight billion (hyphenated).
Twenty-eight or Twenty eight Spelling
It doesn’t matter which noun follows the adjective, the grammar rule explained above remains in place.
In the examples below the correct spelling is underlined.
Twenty eight years or twenty-eight years?
Twenty eight percent or twenty-eight percent?
Twenty eight hours or twenty-eight hours?
Frequently Asked Question about Twenty Eight
- Does twenty eight have a hyphen? Yes, 28 has a hyphen and is spelled correctly as twenty-eight.
- Do you hyphenate twenty eight? Yes, you put a hyphen between twenty and eight: twenty-eight.
- Does twenty eight need a hyphen? As 28 is a compound number in between 21 and 99 it needs a hyphen; therefore writing 28 in full is twenty-eight.
In the table below we show you the correct spelling of some numbers succeeding and precededing 28:
Twenty eighth or Twenty-eighth?
In the following examples the correct spelling is underlined.
Twenty eighth of August or twenty-eighth of August?
Twenty eighth day or twenty-eighth day?
Twenty eighth hour or twenty-eighth hour?
Frequently Asked Question about Twenty eighth
- Does twenty eighth have a hyphen? Yes, the ordinal number for 28 has a hyphen and is spelled correctly as twenty-eighth.
- Do you hyphenate twenty eighth? Yes, you put a hyphen between twenty and eighth: twenty-eighth.
- Does twenty eighth need a hyphen? 28 is a compound number in between 21 and 99 which needs a hyphen. Thus, writing 28th in full is twenty-eighth.
Twenty eighth or Twenty-eight?
As you already know, 28 as cardinal numeral is twenty-eight, and 28 as ordinal numeral is twenty-eighth.
Thus, the question in the subtitle above mixes two distinguished linguistic concepts and cannot be answered as such.
Observe that you can always check how to spell a number in full correctly using our converter below.
Letter case:Sentence case
As explained by the hyphens-in-numbers rule, 28 = twenty-eight.
If you are happy with our information, then you may also be interested in our article thirty or thirty.
We love to hear your feedback and answer any question about how to correctly write 28 you might have.
Use the designated form below or get in touch by email.
Kindly share this content on the social media, and don’t forget to download our app.
Thanks for visiting howdoyouspell.org.