Table of Contents
Thirty three or thirty-three?
In this article we show you how to write 33 in English words correctly.
In addition, we provide you with the grammar rule right away. 🙂
Regardless of where they appear in a number, hyphenate all compound numbers between 21 and 99 (not 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, and 90) such as 33. In other words:
Hyphenate all numbers between twenty-one and ninety-nine, except those divisible by ten, even if the compound number is preceded or succeeded by numbers that do not require hyphens.Thus, the correct spelling of 33 is thirty-three (hyphenated).
Along the same lines:
- 33,000 = thirty-three thousand (hyphenated).
- 33,000,000 = thirty-three million (hyphenated).
- 33,000,000,000 = thirty-three billion (hyphenated).
Thirty-three or Thirty three Spelling
It doesn’t matter which noun follows the adjective, the grammar rule explained above remains in place.
In the examples below the correct spelling is underlined.
Thirty three years or thirty-three years?
Thirty three percent or thirty-three percent?
Thirty three hours or thirty-three hours?
Frequently Asked Question about Thirty Three
- Does thirty three have a hyphen? Yes, 33 has a hyphen and is spelled correctly as thirty-three.
- Do you hyphenate thirty three? Yes, you put a hyphen between thirty and three: thirty-three.
- Does thirty three need a hyphen? As 33 is a compound number in between 21 and 99 it needs a hyphen; therefore writing 33 in full is thirty-three.
In the table below we show you the correct spelling of some numbers succeeding and precededing 33:
Thirty third or Thirty-third?
In the following examples the correct spelling is underlined.
Thirty third of August or thirty-third of August?
Thirty third day or thirty-third day?
Thirty third hour or thirty-third hour?
Frequently Asked Question about Thirty third
- Does thirty third have a hyphen? Yes, the ordinal number for 33 has a hyphen and is spelled correctly as thirty-third.
- Do you hyphenate thirty third? Yes, you put a hyphen between thirty and third: thirty-third.
- Does thirty third need a hyphen? 33 is a compound number in between 21 and 99 which needs a hyphen. Thus, writing 33rd in full is thirty-third.
Thirty third or Thirty-three?
As you already know, 33 as cardinal numeral is thirty-three, and 33 as ordinal numeral is thirty-third.
Thus, the question in the subtitle above mixes two distinguished linguistic concepts and cannot be answered as such.
Observe that you can always check how to spell a number in full correctly using our converter below.
Letter case:Sentence case
As explained by the hyphens-in-numbers rule, 33 = thirty-three.
If you are happy with our information, then you may also be interested in our article thirty-five or thirty five.
We love to hear your feedback and answer any question about how to correctly write 33 you might have.
Use the designated form below or get in touch by email.Kindly share this content on the social media, and don’t forget to download our app.
Thanks for visiting howdoyouspell.org.