Sixty three or sixty-three?
In this article we show you how to write 63 in English words correctly.
In addition, we provide you with the grammar rule right away.
Regardless of where they appear in a number, hyphenate all compound numbers between 21 and 99 (not 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, and 90) such as 63. In other words:
Hyphenate all numbers between twenty-one and ninety-nine, except those divisible by ten, even if the compound number is preceded or succeeded by numbers that do not require hyphens.
Along the same lines:
- 63,000 = sixty-three thousand (hyphenated).
- 63,000,000 = sixty-three million (hyphenated).
- 63,000,000,000 = sixty-three billion (hyphenated).
Sixty-three or Sixty three Spelling
It doesn’t matter which noun follows the adjective, the grammar rule explained above remains in place.
In the examples below the correct spelling is underlined.
Sixty three years or sixty-three years?
Sixty three percent or sixty-three percent?
Sixty three hours or sixty-three hours?
Frequently Asked Question about Sixty Three
- Does sixty three have a hyphen? Yes, 63 has a hyphen and is spelled correctly as sixty-three.
- Do you hyphenate sixty three? Yes, you put a hyphen between sixty and three: sixty-three.
- Does sixty three need a hyphen? As 63 is a compound number in between 21 and 99 it needs a hyphen; therefore writing 63 in full is sixty-three.
In the table below we show you the correct spelling of some numbers succeeding and precededing 63:
Sixty third or Sixty-third?
In the following examples the correct spelling is underlined.
Sixty third of August or sixty-third of August?
Sixty third day or sixty-third day?
Sixty third hour or sixty-third hour?
Frequently Asked Question about Sixty third
- Does sixty third have a hyphen? Yes, the ordinal number for 63 has a hyphen and is spelled correctly as sixty-third.
- Do you hyphenate sixty third? Yes, you put a hyphen between sixty and third: sixty-third.
- Does sixty third need a hyphen? 63 is a compound number in between 21 and 99 which needs a hyphen. Thus, writing 63rd in full is sixty-third.
Sixty third or Sixty-three?
As you already know, 63 as cardinal numeral is sixty-three, and 63 as ordinal numeral is sixty-third.
Thus, the question in the subtitle above mixes two distinguished linguistic concepts and cannot be answered as such.
Observe that you can always check how to spell a number in full correctly using our converter below.
Letter case:Sentence case
As explained by the hyphens-in-numbers rule, 63 = sixty-three.
If you are happy with our information, then you may also be interested in our article sixty-five or sixty five.
We love to hear your feedback and answer any question about how to correctly write 63 you might have.
Use the designated form below or get in touch by email.
Kindly share this content on the social media, and don’t forget to download our app.
Thanks for visiting howdoyouspell.org.