Table of Contents
Ninety six or ninety-six?
In this article we show you how to write 96 in English words correctly.
In addition, we provide you with the grammar rule right away. 🙂
Regardless of where they appear in a number, hyphenate all compound numbers between 21 and 99 (not 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, and 90) such as 96. In other words:
Hyphenate all numbers between twenty-one and ninety-nine, except those divisible by ten, even if the compound number is preceded or succeeded by numbers that do not require hyphens.
Along the same lines:
- 96,000 = ninety-six thousand (hyphenated).
- 96,000,000 = ninety-six million (hyphenated).
- 96,000,000,000 = ninety-six billion (hyphenated).
Ninety-six or Ninety six Spelling
It doesn’t matter which noun follows the adjective, the grammar rule explained above remains in place.
In the examples below the correct spelling is underlined.
Ninety six years or ninety-six years?
Ninety six percent or ninety-six percent?
Ninety six hours or ninety-six hours?
Frequently Asked Question about Ninety Six
- Does ninety six have a hyphen? Yes, 96 has a hyphen and is spelled correctly as ninety-six.
- Do you hyphenate ninety six? Yes, you put a hyphen between ninety and six: ninety-six.
- Does ninety six need a hyphen? As 96 is a compound number in between 21 and 99 it needs a hyphen; therefore writing 96 in full is ninety-six.
In the table below we show you the correct spelling of some numbers succeeding and precededing 96:
|101||one hundred one|
Ninety sixth or Ninety-sixth?
In the following examples the correct spelling is underlined.
Ninety sixth of August or ninety-sixth of August?
Ninety sixth day or ninety-sixth day?
Ninety sixth hour or ninety-sixth hour?
Frequently Asked Question about Ninety sixth
- Does ninety sixth have a hyphen? Yes, the ordinal number for 96 has a hyphen and is spelled correctly as ninety-sixth.
- Do you hyphenate ninety sixth? Yes, you put a hyphen between ninety and sixth: ninety-sixth.
- Does ninety sixth need a hyphen? 96 is a compound number in between 21 and 99 which needs a hyphen. Thus, writing 96th in full is ninety-sixth.
Ninety sixth or Ninety-six?
As you already know, 96 as cardinal numeral is ninety-six, and 96 as ordinal numeral is ninety-sixth.
Thus, the question in the subtitle above mixes two distinguished linguistic concepts and cannot be answered as such.
Observe that you can always check how to spell a number in full correctly using our converter below.
Letter case:Sentence case
As explained by the hyphens-in-numbers rule, 96 = ninety-six.
If you are happy with our information, then you may also be interested in our article ninety-eight or ninety eight.
We love to hear your feedback and answer any question about how to correctly write 96 you might have.
Use the designated form below or get in touch by email.Kindly share this content on the social media, and don’t forget to download our app.
Thanks for visiting howdoyouspell.org.