Ninety seven or ninety-seven?
In this article we show you how to write 97 in English words correctly.
In addition, we provide you with the grammar rule right away.
Regardless of where they appear in a number, hyphenate all compound numbers between 21 and 99 (not 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, and 90) such as 97. In other words:
Hyphenate all numbers between twenty-one and ninety-nine, except those divisible by ten, even if the compound number is preceded or succeeded by numbers that do not require hyphens.
Along the same lines:
- 97,000 = ninety-seven thousand (hyphenated).
- 97,000,000 = ninety-seven million (hyphenated).
- 97,000,000,000 = ninety-seven billion (hyphenated).
Ninety-seven or Ninety seven Spelling
It doesn’t matter which noun follows the adjective, the grammar rule explained above remains in place.
In the examples below the correct spelling is underlined.
Ninety seven years or ninety-seven years?
Ninety seven percent or ninety-seven percent?
Ninety seven hours or ninety-seven hours?
Frequently Asked Question about Ninety Seven
- Does ninety seven have a hyphen? Yes, 97 has a hyphen and is spelled correctly as ninety-seven.
- Do you hyphenate ninety seven? Yes, you put a hyphen between ninety and seven: ninety-seven.
- Does ninety seven need a hyphen? As 97 is a compound number in between 21 and 99 it needs a hyphen; therefore writing 97 in full is ninety-seven.
In the table below we show you the correct spelling of some numbers succeeding and precededing 97:
|101||one hundred one|
|102||one hundred two|
Ninety seventh or Ninety-seventh?
In the following examples the correct spelling is underlined.
Ninety seventh of August or ninety-seventh of August?
Ninety seventh day or ninety-seventh day?
Ninety seventh hour or ninety-seventh hour?
Frequently Asked Question about Ninety seventh
- Does ninety seventh have a hyphen? Yes, the ordinal number for 97 has a hyphen and is spelled correctly as ninety-seventh.
- Do you hyphenate ninety seventh? Yes, you put a hyphen between ninety and seventh: ninety-seventh.
- Does ninety seventh need a hyphen? 97 is a compound number in between 21 and 99 which needs a hyphen. Thus, writing 97th in full is ninety-seventh.
Ninety seventh or Ninety-seven?
As you already know, 97 as cardinal numeral is ninety-seven, and 97 as ordinal numeral is ninety-seventh.
Thus, the question in the subtitle above mixes two distinguished linguistic concepts and cannot be answered as such.
Observe that you can always check how to spell a number in full correctly using our converter below.
Letter case:Sentence case
As explained by the hyphens-in-numbers rule, 97 = ninety-seven.
If you are happy with our information, then you may also be interested in our article ninety-nine or ninety nine.
We love to hear your feedback and answer any question about how to correctly write 97 you might have.
Use the designated form below or get in touch by email.
Kindly share this content on the social media, and don’t forget to download our app.
Thanks for visiting howdoyouspell.org.