Forty one or forty-one?
In this article we show you how to write 41 in English words correctly.
In addition, we provide you with the grammar rule right away. 🙂
Regardless of where they appear in a number, hyphenate all compound numbers between 21 and 99 (not 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, and 90) such as 41. In other words:
Hyphenate all numbers between twenty-one and ninety-nine, except those divisible by ten, even if the compound number is preceded or succeeded by numbers that do not require hyphens.Thus, the correct spelling of 41 is forty-one (hyphenated).
Along the same lines:
- 41,000 = forty-one thousand (hyphenated).
- 41,000,000 = forty-one million (hyphenated).
- 41,000,000,000 = forty-one billion (hyphenated).
Forty-one or Forty one Spelling
It doesn’t matter which noun follows the adjective, the grammar rule explained above remains in place.
In the examples below the correct spelling is underlined.
Forty one years or forty-one years?
Forty one percent or forty-one percent?
Forty one hours or forty-one hours?
Frequently Asked Question about Forty One
- Does forty one have a hyphen? Yes, 41 has a hyphen and is spelled correctly as forty-one.
- Do you hyphenate forty one? Yes, you put a hyphen between forty and one: forty-one.
- Does forty one need a hyphen? As 41 is a compound number in between 21 and 99 it needs a hyphen; therefore writing 41 in full is forty-one.
In the table below we show you the correct spelling of some numbers succeeding and precededing 41:
Forty first or Forty-first?
In the following examples the correct spelling is underlined.
Forty first of August or forty-first of August?
Forty first day or forty-first day?
Forty first hour or forty-first hour?
Frequently Asked Question about Forty first
- Does forty first have a hyphen? Yes, the ordinal number for 41 has a hyphen and is spelled correctly as forty-first.
- Do you hyphenate forty first? Yes, you put a hyphen between forty and first: forty-first.
- Does forty first need a hyphen? 41 is a compound number in between 21 and 99 which needs a hyphen. Thus, writing 41st in full is forty-first.
Forty first or Forty-one?
As you already know, 41 as cardinal numeral is forty-one, and 41 as ordinal numeral is forty-first.
Thus, the question in the subtitle above mixes two distinguished linguistic concepts and cannot be answered as such.
Observe that you can always check how to spell a number in full correctly using our converter below.
Letter case:Sentence case
As explained by the hyphens-in-numbers rule, 41 = forty-one.
If you are happy with our information, then you may also be interested in our article forty-three or forty three.
We love to hear your feedback and answer any question about how to correctly write 41 you might have.
Use the designated form below or get in touch by email.
Kindly share this content on the social media, and don’t forget to download our app.
Thanks for visiting howdoyouspell.org.