Table of Contents
Fifty two or fifty-two?
In this article we show you how to write 52 in English words correctly.
In addition, we provide you with the grammar rule right away. 🙂
Regardless of where they appear in a number, hyphenate all compound numbers between 21 and 99 (not 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, and 90) such as 52. In other words:
Hyphenate all numbers between twenty-one and ninety-nine, except those divisible by ten, even if the compound number is preceded or succeeded by numbers that do not require hyphens.Thus, the correct spelling of 52 is fifty-two (hyphenated).
Along the same lines:
- 52,000 = fifty-two thousand (hyphenated).
- 52,000,000 = fifty-two million (hyphenated).
- 52,000,000,000 = fifty-two billion (hyphenated).
Fifty-two or Fifty two Spelling
It doesn’t matter which noun follows the adjective, the grammar rule explained above remains in place.
In the examples below the correct spelling is underlined.
Fifty two years or fifty-two years?
Fifty two percent or fifty-two percent?
Fifty two hours or fifty-two hours?
Frequently Asked Question about Fifty Two
- Does fifty two have a hyphen? Yes, 52 has a hyphen and is spelled correctly as fifty-two.
- Do you hyphenate fifty two? Yes, you put a hyphen between fifty and two: fifty-two.
- Does fifty two need a hyphen? As 52 is a compound number in between 21 and 99 it needs a hyphen; therefore writing 52 in full is fifty-two.
In the table below we show you the correct spelling of some numbers succeeding and precededing 52:
Fifty second or Fifty-second?
In the following examples the correct spelling is underlined.
Fifty second of August or fifty-second of August?
Fifty second day or fifty-second day?
Fifty second hour or fifty-second hour?
Frequently Asked Question about Fifty second
- Does fifty second have a hyphen? Yes, the ordinal number for 52 has a hyphen and is spelled correctly as fifty-second.
- Do you hyphenate fifty second? Yes, you put a hyphen between fifty and second: fifty-second.
- Does fifty second need a hyphen? 52 is a compound number in between 21 and 99 which needs a hyphen. Thus, writing 52nd in full is fifty-second.
Fifty second or Fifty-two?
As you already know, 52 as cardinal numeral is fifty-two, and 52 as ordinal numeral is fifty-second.
Thus, the question in the subtitle above mixes two distinguished linguistic concepts and cannot be answered as such.
Observe that you can always check how to spell a number in full correctly using our converter below.
Letter case:Sentence case
As explained by the hyphens-in-numbers rule, 52 = fifty-two.
If you are happy with our information, then you may also be interested in our article fifty-four or fifty four.
We love to hear your feedback and answer any question about how to correctly write 52 you might have.
Use the designated form below or get in touch by email.Kindly share this content on the social media, and don’t forget to download our app.
Thanks for visiting howdoyouspell.org.