Fifty five or fifty-five?
In this article we show you how to write 55 in English words correctly.
In addition, we provide you with the grammar rule right away. 🙂
Regardless of where they appear in a number, hyphenate all compound numbers between 21 and 99 (not 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, and 90) such as 55. In other words:
Hyphenate all numbers between twenty-one and ninety-nine, except those divisible by ten, even if the compound number is preceded or succeeded by numbers that do not require hyphens.Thus, the correct spelling of 55 is fifty-five (hyphenated).
Along the same lines:
- 55,000 = fifty-five thousand (hyphenated).
- 55,000,000 = fifty-five million (hyphenated).
- 55,000,000,000 = fifty-five billion (hyphenated).
Fifty-five or Fifty five Spelling
It doesn’t matter which noun follows the adjective, the grammar rule explained above remains in place.
In the examples below the correct spelling is underlined.
Fifty five years or fifty-five years?
Fifty five percent or fifty-five percent?
Fifty five hours or fifty-five hours?
Frequently Asked Question about Fifty Five
- Does fifty five have a hyphen? Yes, 55 has a hyphen and is spelled correctly as fifty-five.
- Do you hyphenate fifty five? Yes, you put a hyphen between fifty and five: fifty-five.
- Does fifty five need a hyphen? As 55 is a compound number in between 21 and 99 it needs a hyphen; therefore writing 55 in full is fifty-five.
In the table below we show you the correct spelling of some numbers succeeding and precededing 55:
Fifty fifth or Fifty-fifth?
In the following examples the correct spelling is underlined.
Fifty fifth of August or fifty-fifth of August?
Fifty fifth day or fifty-fifth day?
Fifty fifth hour or fifty-fifth hour?
Frequently Asked Question about Fifty fifth
- Does fifty fifth have a hyphen? Yes, the ordinal number for 55 has a hyphen and is spelled correctly as fifty-fifth.
- Do you hyphenate fifty fifth? Yes, you put a hyphen between fifty and fifth: fifty-fifth.
- Does fifty fifth need a hyphen? 55 is a compound number in between 21 and 99 which needs a hyphen. Thus, writing 55th in full is fifty-fifth.
Fifty fifth or Fifty-five?
As you already know, 55 as cardinal numeral is fifty-five, and 55 as ordinal numeral is fifty-fifth.
Thus, the question in the subtitle above mixes two distinguished linguistic concepts and cannot be answered as such.
Observe that you can always check how to spell a number in full correctly using our converter below.
Letter case:Sentence case
As explained by the hyphens-in-numbers rule, 55 = fifty-five.
If you are happy with our information, then you may also be interested in our article fifty-seven or fifty seven.
We love to hear your feedback and answer any question about how to correctly write 55 you might have.
Use the designated form below or get in touch by email.
Kindly share this content on the social media, and don’t forget to download our app.
Thanks for visiting howdoyouspell.org.