Table of Contents
Eighty nine or eighty-nine?
In this article we show you how to write 89 in English words correctly.
In addition, we provide you with the grammar rule right away. 🙂
Regardless of where they appear in a number, hyphenate all compound numbers between 21 and 99 (not 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, and 90) such as 89. In other words:
Hyphenate all numbers between twenty-one and ninety-nine, except those divisible by ten, even if the compound number is preceded or succeeded by numbers that do not require hyphens.
Along the same lines:
- 89,000 = eighty-nine thousand (hyphenated).
- 89,000,000 = eighty-nine million (hyphenated).
- 89,000,000,000 = eighty-nine billion (hyphenated).
Eighty-nine or Eighty nine Spelling
It doesn’t matter which noun follows the adjective, the grammar rule explained above remains in place.
In the examples below the correct spelling is underlined.
Eighty nine years or eighty-nine years?
Eighty nine percent or eighty-nine percent?
Eighty nine hours or eighty-nine hours?
Frequently Asked Question about Eighty Nine
- Does eighty nine have a hyphen? Yes, 89 has a hyphen and is spelled correctly as eighty-nine.
- Do you hyphenate eighty nine? Yes, you put a hyphen between eighty and nine: eighty-nine.
- Does eighty nine need a hyphen? As 89 is a compound number in between 21 and 99 it needs a hyphen; therefore writing 89 in full is eighty-nine.
In the table below we show you the correct spelling of some numbers succeeding and precededing 89:
Eighty ninth or Eighty-ninth?
In the following examples the correct spelling is underlined.
Eighty ninth of August or eighty-ninth of August?
Eighty ninth day or eighty-ninth day?
Eighty ninth hour or eighty-ninth hour?
Frequently Asked Question about Eighty ninth
- Does eighty ninth have a hyphen? Yes, the ordinal number for 89 has a hyphen and is spelled correctly as eighty-ninth.
- Do you hyphenate eighty ninth? Yes, you put a hyphen between eighty and ninth: eighty-ninth.
- Does eighty ninth need a hyphen? 89 is a compound number in between 21 and 99 which needs a hyphen. Thus, writing 89th in full is eighty-ninth.
Eighty ninth or Eighty-nine?
As you already know, 89 as cardinal numeral is eighty-nine, and 89 as ordinal numeral is eighty-ninth.
Thus, the question in the subtitle above mixes two distinguished linguistic concepts and cannot be answered as such.
Observe that you can always check how to spell a number in full correctly using our converter below.
Letter case:Sentence case
As explained by the hyphens-in-numbers rule, 89 = eighty-nine.
If you are happy with our information, then you may also be interested in our article ninety-one or ninety one.
We love to hear your feedback and answer any question about how to correctly write 89 you might have.
Use the designated form below or get in touch by email.Kindly share this content on the social media, and don’t forget to download our app.
Thanks for visiting howdoyouspell.org.